Get the best dental care by being an active dental health care consumer
When going to the dentist be active in knowing and learning about your dental care services. What you should know before having any dental work started.
If you have dental insurance dental benefits.
1) Make sure you are seeing a dentist that is either a provider of your dental plan or that you have a dental insurance plan where you can see any dentist.
2) Know and understand the terms and conditions of the dental plan you have before seeing a dentist. Read your plan limitations and if you have any questions call member services. It is important for you to understand if you dental plan has waiting periods, maxim limitations and deductibles before starting any dental services.
3) Know ahead of time how the dental office is going to file any claims made and what is expected from you.
Communication is the key to receiving the best dental care.
1) Communicate with your dentist. Dentist will sometime talk in dental terms you many not understand. They assume if you are not asking any questions it because you understand what is being told to you. If you dentist is suggesting dental services that you do not understand ask questions until you do. If you are not sure why you need a suggested dental service do not hesitate to ask why.
2) If you speak a different languish then then dentist bring someone with you if necessary that can help translate and make things clearer for you to understand.
3) When booking a dental appointment, let them know you may have questions for the dentist and for them to book in the added time necessary .
4) Do not keep your dentist in the dark. Many dentist will have you fill out a medical health form. It is important that you complete it and be upfront about any medical conditions. Such as if you have heart disease, diabetes or high blood pressure the dentist needs to know this since gum care will be extra important to maintain.
5) If you have dental fears let your dentist know ahead of time. That way they can take the time needed to address your fears.