The ADA’s national survey conducted in May 2012, Revealed
ADA’s national survey, conducted in May 2012, which involved a nationally representative sample of almost 1,500 adults revealed:
1) 90% of people believe they should clean their teeth after every meal, whilst ADA recommends cleaning twice a day.
2) 81% of people believe that cavities are caused by sugar. However, it is not the actual sugar that causes cavities, but germs in the mouth that feed on sugar and produce acid that attacks the teeth enamel, which over time wear down the enamel to such an extent that cavities form
3) 75% have no idea at what age they should take a child to the dentist for the first time. According to ADA recommendations, a child’s first dentist visit should be within six months after the first tooth appears or before the child’s first birthday
4) 65% of people think their toothbrush should be replaced twice a year, when it should be replaced every three months
5) 59% of people are unaware that germs that can cause cavities can be passed from person to person